Does Medicare Cover Compression Stockings?

There are certain diseases or conditions where Medicare may offer a range of specific types of compression stockings or compression socks. However, in most instances, Original Medicare does not typically include coverage for compression stockings as they are not considered durable medical equipment. 

To qualify for Medicare coverage for compression stockings, you must have a medical condition that requires their use. Chronic venous insufficiency, lymphedema, and deep vein thrombosis are just a few conditions that may qualify for coverage.

Out Of Pocket Costs

It’s important to note that most insurance plans do not cover these items unless they are considered a medical necessity. If your situation meets the criteria, Medicare Part B will cover your compression socks or stockings as durable medical equipment. Initially, you may need to fulfill your Part B deductible if it hasn’t been met for the year. After that, Medicare will pay 80% of the Medicare-approved amount, leaving you responsible for the remaining 20%.

If Medicare does not provide coverage for compression stockings, you will typically be responsible for paying the total cost out of pocket. The price of compression stockings can vary, ranging from $20 to $100 or more, depending on the design and materials used.

It’s essential to consult your doctor before purchasing compression stockings to ensure you get the correct type and size for your needs. Improperly fitted or sized compression stockings can be uncomfortable and lead to other health complications, such as skin irritation or ulcerations.

Alternatives To Compression Stockings

Other alternatives may relieve your symptoms if you cannot get Medicare coverage for compression stockings. Exercise and physical therapy can often improve circulation in the lower legs, and leg elevation can also help during sleep or rest periods. Proper footwear with adequate arch support prevents pain and discomfort while walking or standing.

There are also alternatives to compression stockings that Medicare may cover. For example, if you meet the requirements, pneumatic compression devices (which pump air into special boots or sleeves to stimulate circulation and blood flow to help reduce leg swelling) may be covered.

Bottom Line

In conclusion, Medicare may cover compression garments for certain medical conditions, but there are specific requirements and limitations to be aware of. Speak with your doctor and healthcare provider to see if you qualify for coverage and, if so, which brands and types of compression stockings you are eligible for.

Sources: HealthLineMedicare.govMedical News TodaymediUSA


Mark Prip

Since 2003, Mark Prip has been leading  Policy Guide, Inc., providing knowledgeable information about Medicare, life insurance, and dental coverage to clients in over forty states. With his unparalleled hands-on experience aiding countless Medicare beneficiaries in selecting an appropriate health plan, he is a prime example amongst other competitors for expertise and assistance. Mark has held his Florida Health & Life Insurance License (E051889) since 2003. View his license profile on the Florida Department of Insurance website.