Medicare Advantage Plans in Louisiana
Over 20 providers sell Medicare Advantage plans in Louisiana. Find out which ones are the top performers.
Medicare Advantage plans in Louisiana have many benefits, but you’ll need to choose the best plan for you. If you’re going to be enrolled in Medicare Part A and Part B anytime soon, now is the best time to start looking for Medicare Advantage plans in Louisiana. First, take a look at this simple guide so that you’ll have a better understanding of how these Medicare plans work and why they’re often better than having Medicare coverage alone.
Top Medicare Advantage Providers in Louisiana
- Ameri Health
- Peoples Health
- Coventry Health
Types of Medicare Advantage Plans in Louisiana
When you’re enrolled in Medicare Part A and Part B and want to start shopping for a Medicare Advantage plan (Medicare Part C in Louisiana), you should be aware of the options that are available. These are the Medicare Advantage plan options that you can choose if you’d like to replace Original Medicare:
PPO Preferred Provider Organization Plans (PPO)
- Includes a network
- See doctors or visit a hospital in or out your provider’s network
- Costs are lower when you see in-network providers
- Referrals aren’t needed
HMO Health Maintenance Organization Plans (HMO)
- $0 premium options are sometimes available
- Even when monthly premiums must be paid, they are typically cheaper for these plans than others
- Must choose in-network providers, except in emergency situations
- Referrals from a primary care doctor (PCP)
- Private policies; coverage is determined by your insurance company
- Network restrictions apply
Special Needs Plans SNPs
- Designed for people with chronic health conditions or institutional conditions (for example, end-stage renal disease ESRD)
- Insurance companies are required to include Medicare Part D prescription drug plans in Special Needs plans
When Should You Enroll?
There are specific Medicare Advantage enrollment periods; you must sign up for one of the Medicare Part C health plans in Louisiana during one of these times.
- Medicare Initial Coverage Election Period ICEP: When you become a beneficiary of Medicare Part A and Part B, you will be given the opportunity to sign up for Medicare Advantage.
- Medicare Annual Election Period AEP: From October 15 to December 7 annually, you can sign up for, disenroll or change your Medicare Advantage policy.
- Medicare Advantage Disenrollment Period MADP: At one time, this was once the period when you could disenroll from a Medicare Advantage plan and go back to Original Medicare (Medicare Part A and Part B), but this has now been discontinued.
- Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period MA OEP: Another period during which you can change your MA plan runs from January 1 to March 31st of each year.
- Medicare Special Election Periods SEP: If you need to shop for a policy outside of the standard Medicare Enrollment Period, an SEP can provide you the opportunity to do so. If you have lost your dual-eligible Medicaid coverage and need to replace it with a plan through a private insurance company, an SEP will be triggered so you’ll have the opportunity to buy a policy. If you lose employer-sponsored coverage, if your insurance company doesn’t sign its contract renewal with Medicare or if you move out of your insurance company’s service area, an SEP will be triggered as well.
Louisiana Medicare Resources
If you’re looking for more information about Original Medicare (Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B) and the extra help that might be available for you, check out these helpful resource links:
- Senior Health Insurance Information Program (SHIP) for Louisiana
- Extra Help for Louisiana Medicare Beneficiaries
- CMS: Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
Choosing the right Medicare Plan is not a decision that should be taken lightly. With Policy Guide’s assistance, you will have access to the knowledge and expertise of professional agents who can help you compare different health plans, prices, and policies to ensure that you make an informed decision. Let us guide you through this process, so that your chosen plan best suits your needs.